Wednesday, November 18, 2009

I'm cruising south on 97 on the way to the party store to buy a pinata for my son's 7th birthday party when I notice that little donut shack has undergone a bit of a face lift. Gone are the candy cane striped poles, huge "DONUTS" sign and pink paint. Instead thin, horizontal, hard wood siding covers most of the outside walls and an artsy sign reads "bread". I swerve through two lanes, park on the corner and get out to investigate. The smell of yeast and freshly baked bread persevers over the smell of gas and deisel. The window is full of crusty pain rustica, baguettes, walnut loaves and croissants. I peer into the little slide up window and there is Micah from Sparrow bakery. I should have know - tiny old kitchen, clean cool aesthetics, and fabulous baked goods could only mean Sparrow Baking.
I started with a baguette as they actually looked like the baguettes I'v had in France. Warm from the oven, thin and chewy, this was truly a traditional baguette.
La Voy Baking is Sparrow's bread making facility. No, they do not sell donuts, but due to high demand they are considering something a little bit more refined like beignets. I'm so excited to have another place to buy bread - when I'm not making it I want what I buy to be something I aspire to, and La Voy's bread does just that.

No comments: