Monday, November 10, 2008

The Staff of Life



     











I have decided that, although I am not a baker,  I am tired of paying someone else to make my bread. I LOVE Dave's Killer Bread and it is an Oregon product but it is spendy. I also love crusty, European style bread which is made locally but again, it is too expensive for me to buy on a regular basis. So I decided to take matters into my own hands and attempt to bake some edible bread.
     My first try landed me with a rather heavy disk of wheat bread that I relegated to bread crumbs and croutons. I used a recipe off of the Cook's Illustrated website, and in classic Laurie, style I substituted things that obviously should not have been substituted. I run into this every time I try to bake - I want to improvise, which does not work in the cuisine of chemistry.  
   With a little self-discipline and and a lot of fumbling with measuring cups, timers and parchment paper, my second attempt rendered a near perfect loaf. OK, I may be exaggerating but it was very edible - crusty, with an open crumb and really nice flavor. Again I used a Cooks Illustrated recipe that was adapted from a NY Times recipe for no fail crusty white bread. It is the "Almost No-Knead Bread" recipe that has gained recent fame in home baking circles. The recipe calls for instant yeast (not regular yeast), white vinegar (not wine vinegar) and a mild flavored lager. It is truly no fail IF you follow the directions exactly - something I'm still struggling with.
   In my most recent loaf I substituted an locally made Ale (Deshutes Cascade Ale) for the lager, as I wanted a bit more flavor. It turned out great - even better than the last.
   So I guess that is the beginning baking lesson I've learned - it's OK to improvise once you've mastered the tried and true formula. 

 

1 comment:

foobe Barbe said...

Nice!!! It's lovely. I love your blog too. Barbara really inspired you. But you were already well on your way...in the kitchen, garden, and values...

This is nice! I really like it.

So yea, Mine was an oat bread. I used dry yeast instead of the instant that it recommended, and it was a very kneady bread. I also used molasses instead of brown sugar. Turned out rather brick like but chewy, so I liked it. Got through one loaf. Will probably take you advise on the crutons and bread crumbs for the second.

So it'd be really nice if you would write down your adapted recipie for this crusty no-knead bread...!!!