Tuesday, November 11, 2008

From Cow to Steak

     My beef is in. It is currently hanging at the Redmond Smokehouse and will be cut, wrapped and ready for me by the 16th. I had been told that the butcher would call and that I needed to know how I wanted it cut up. How I wanted it cut up? Are there options? Apparently there are and a quick education in beef cuts was in order.
     I started as I do all research - online. There are myriad sites that have detailed pictures of where each cut comes from and the difference between British and American butchering. I read about steak thickness and how best to store frozen meat. I studied diagrams of cows with dotted lines all over their bodies and little mouth watering words like "brisket" and "tenderloin". But I still didn't know how I wanted my beef. I guess everyone likes beef in different configurations so I had to think about how I liked to cook and eat beef. For instance I'm not much of a ground beef person. I would much rather have those tough cuts as stew meat, brisket or pot roast. Also I wanted to make sure I got everything usable, as I have a taste for offal, as well as dogs that will eat anything. 
     Through my Googling I found a forum that had all the info I could ever need. It turns out that Garden Web is not only an invaluable help for gardening but for just about everything you do at home. I asked the question about my beef and got enough info to gave me confidence when talking to the butcher. Here is the link to the thread gardenweb.com.
     I found a few other sites that are interesting in a homesteading kind of way. Backwoods Home Magazine is a bit extreme but has some down and dirty info on cutting up a cow. The usmef.org site (I have no idea what that stands for) has the most comprehensive list of beef offal I could find and has pictures of things you probably didn't know a cow had. 
     Now starts the education on how to cut up the pig I have coming......

1 comment:

foobe Barbe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.