Monday, October 20, 2008

MMMMMilk....

    Recently I started getting my dairy products from Windy Acres Farm, a dairy farm in Prineville. Billie, the owner, offers rich creamy raw milk with no antibiotics, hormones or other bad juju. Unfortunately she is not allowed to sell her milk products because they are raw. Instead I (and all her other customers) have a "herd share" - in other words we buy into the herd and get the byproducts for "free". Each week a load of milk, butter, cream, yogurt, kefir and sometimes cheese curds are brought to Bend and left in restaurant sized frigs outside of a house near Hollinshead park. Every Weds I hop on my bike and ride over to pick up my half-gallon of milk, loaf of butter and pint of cream. Sometimes, because Billie farms other things as well as dairy cows, there will be quarts of honey, years of corn and cuts of frozen beef from a cow that wasn't preforming up to par. 
     To buy into Billie's herd is $35/year plus a monthly fee. Two gallons per month is $19. That sounds like a lot but compare it to Strauss at $4.50/half gallon which is a good company but not part of our local economy. Fifty cents extra is a small price to pay for wholesome, local and raw.
    Why raw? Isn't it dangerous? Well, yes. if it is contaminated, just as any food that is produced in a dirty environment would be. The reason pasteurization
is so necessary in large scale factory milking farms is because it is impossible to keep the milking house clean. But Billie's milking house is spotless, disinfected daily as well as the meticulous disinfection of the cows udders before milking. I have read in numerous places (www.realmilk.com and www.westonaprice.org to name a couple) that raw dairy products are healthier because they are less processed and because they have to come from cleaner, healthier cows. These days you can get eColi from factory farmed spinach, tomatoes and hamburger. There is no guarantees with food - that is why I want to know where it's coming from and who is handling it before I feed it to my son. And the only way to do that is by buying local.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

wow, i just found your blog and it is awesome. love the info you give on eating locally in central oregon and i love the way you write about it. it inspires me to eat more local.

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to see Billie's incredible raw products enjoyed and shared. A group of us in So OR belong to Billie's share and we love it. keep up the local support and sharing the good news!

High Desert Locavore said...

wow - I had no idea anybody but me was reading this! Thanks for the support Tumalo and Cindy.....ljr

foobe Barbe said...

I'd be on that deal in a hot minute if I had the option down here in the Bay...upi where I house sit there is a woman who raises goats and chickens and JoAnne, (the woman who's house I sit for) will have raw goat milk, kiefer and fresh eggs around sometimes. But her goaties only produce enough for the Greenfielders. One day I may become an officinato...

YES! Of course raw is better (when clean), with all the vital enzymes not boiled away. Thanks for the point about why pasturization became "the law"...makes you think about some other laws and what commercial endeavors are the cause and reason for them that takes away from a real democracy.